The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99), affords Parents and students over 18 years of age (“eligible student”) the following rights with respect to a student’s education records:
- The right to inspect and review the student’s education records.
- The right to request amendment of the student’s education records.
- The right to consent to the disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records.
- The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the School to comply with requirements of FERPA.
Generally, educational agencies or institutions must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student’s education record. However, FERPA allows educational agencies or institutions to disclose those records, without consent, under certain conditions. CSI, as an educational agency or institution through their duty and role as the custodian of records for CSI schools that have closed, may disclose an education record of a student to:
- School officials CSI has determined to have legitimate educational interest;
- Officials of another school or school system in which the student seeks or intends to enroll;
- Other schools to which a student is transferring;
- Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
- Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
- To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
- State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.
Please note, per FERPA, student records are only available to those who have authorization from the student or parent/guardian/responsible person if the student is under 18 years of age. School records will not be released to a student, parent/guardian/responsible person, or any of the above mentioned allowable disclosures without verification of the requestor’s identity. The submission of the below records request form will initiate the process and additional information or verification may be requested as appropriate.
Schools & Records
Each CSI school is responsible for maintaining its own student records. Those requesting records should contact the CSI charter school directly to access student records. Websites and phone numbers for each CSI school can be accessed on Our School Portfolio page.
Schools No Longer in Operation
Those requesting records from schools that are no longer in operation should contact CSI to request records. CSI schools no longer in operation include:
- Colorado Distance and Electronic Learning Academy (CDELA)
- Frontier Charter Academy
- Global Village Academy – Fort Collins
- Pikes Peak Prep
- Provost Academy
- Scholars to Leaders
- Youth and Family Academy (YAFA)