If a student is assessed twice with an interim assessment and the score suggests the student has a significant reading deficiency:
- Administer an approved diagnostic assessment
- Communicate with the student’s parent/guardian
- Create a READ Plan jointly with parents or integrate READ Plan components into IEP if applicable
- Monitor ongoing progress by administering the approved interim assessment periodically throughout the school year (Winter recommended, Spring required)
- Collect a body of evidence to demonstrate sufficient progress
- Discuss student advancement within 45 days of end of the year [page 5 of guidance document]
Schools should input the spring interim assessment scores into their student information system as spring scores are reported in the READ Act data collection and drive funding.